Friday, June 11, 2010

A little something on the topic of Congruency

I recently heard the following story about Ghandi.
A mother trying to teach her child that she should eat only 'good for your body, healthy foods', told her she should not eat sugar. She went to Ghandi and asked him to please tell her daughter to NOT eat sugar.
Ghandi responded by saying: Come back in one month.
The mother, a little frustrated and confused, but didn't argue the point, left and came back in one month. Upon returning she repeated herself and asked Ghandi to please tell her daughter to not eat sugar.
This time he did not hesitate and told the little girl to NOT eat sugar, that it was not good for the body - and that our bodies are temples and should be honored and cared for as such.
When the mother and her daughter were leaving she turned and asked Ghandi why he didn't just tell her daughter that a month ago?
His response to her was, "A month ago, I was eating sugar."
===
I love this story! It speaks volumes about congruency in our hearts and minds. Do what we say and do, line up with what we think and feel about situations and concepts? This is an area of my life where I've had to do some real work. I grew up in a situation where a big show was produced daily! We were living one way in our house behind closed doors and acting 'as if' when we walked through that front door and out into the world. What was modeled for me was IN-congruency. I had to first become AWARE that there was such a thing as congruency and then I had to really honestly DESIRE to know a better way and then I began to PRACTICE being congruent. Another way to put congruency is HEART and MIND ALIGNMENT. Are my heart and my mind on the same page? Today, I live the majority of my life in heart and mind alignment! Am I perfect at it? NOPE! But I've done a ton of work and have re-learned a better way to be and do and live from a place of CONGRUENCY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment